Mary Queen of Scots was reckoned to have disembarked from her travelling vessel here in 1561. Later, in the 19th Century a rather splendid period building of offices was erected on the site on the riverside, whilst to the rear a Seed Mill was built entering from the lovely cobbled square of Maritime. In 1993, Gregor Shore converted both buildings into apartments.
This passage of time and change of use has no real specific connection but it does illustrate the changing times of Leith. The Port had been one of the country’s busiest at the time of the Queen’s landing right through until probably the 1950’s when industry did begin to disappear.